Our Lord brought the image, and the devotion, of the Sacred Heart to the Visitation sister St. Margret Mary on December 27, 1673. Though she was not the first to hold this devotion to the Savior’s Heart, Our Lord declared her His apostle of the Sacred Heart, giving her the honor of spreading the devotion of the Sacred Heart. Though many of the sisters within her convent were leery of her visions and heavenly messages, her spiritual director St. Father Claude de la Colombiere, and later many of the novices that she was in charge of, came to accept and honor the Sacred Heart with her. On July 20, 1685, the novices under Margret Mary built a shrine – the first altar to ever be dedicated to the Sacred Heart in the world- in their convent. During Margret Mary’s life, Our Lord granted her many visions and graces. One of the favors He gave her through the course of many different visions was a collection of promises of the Sacred Heart, granting graces to those who displayed the image with honor in their home.
“He promised that wherever it’s [the Sacred Heart’s] image should be exposed with a view to showing it special honor, He would pour forth His blessing and graces.”St. Margret Mary
Christ’s Promises to Those Who Practice the Devotion to The Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart am assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of their death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to perfection.
- I will bless the homes in which the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their name written in my heart and it shall never be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion of the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance, they shall not die under My displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Heart shall be their assured refuge at that last hour.
The Sacred Heart of Our Lord burns with the fire of Divine Love for us. His arms are spread wide to receive His children. The words of Margret Mary express perfectly how great the devotion He gave us is:
“This devotion was the last effort of His love that He would grant to men in these latter ages, in order to withdraw them from the empire of Satan, which He desired to destroy, and thus to introduce them into the sweet liberty of the rule of His love, which He wished to restore in the hearts of all those who should embrace this devotion.”St. Margaret Mary
God is Love.
Prayer of Reparation for offenses made against the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary–O merciful Jesus, my King and My God, I worship you. O Blessed Mother, Mary Immaculate, I cherish you. For those who offer you insult, I offer you praise. For those who offer you mocking, I offer you honor. For those who offer you disbelief, I offer you trust. For those who offer you hate, I offer you love. For those who offer you cursing, I offer you blessing. For those who offer you ridicule, I offer you loving gazes. For those who offer you blasphemy, I offer you adoration. For those who offer you rebellion, I offer you obedience. For those who offer you indifference, I offer you devotion. For those who offer you obstinate pride, I offer you a contrite heart. For those who offer you scorn, I offer you fidelity. Kind Jesus, have mercy; Ever Virgin Mary, pray for us. Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they are doing. Soften the hearts of those who offend you, that they may come to know you and love you as you deserve. Make my heart more fervent so I may pray without ceasing for the conversion and salvation of souls. Amen.
– Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.